A doula is a trained professional who provides physical, emotional, and informational support to a mother before, during, and shortly after childbirth. A doula can be an invaluable asset during the birth process, but it's important to choose the right one that fits your specific needs.
When deciding to hire a doula, it is important to take your time and interview multiple candidates. This is because each doula offers something unique that can benefit you during the birthing process. By speaking with several professionals, you can compare different techniques and strengths, as well as get a better understanding of which doula is the best fit for you. Your doula will ultimately become your “Pregnancy BFF” so selecting one that feels right is important in the selection process.
When interviewing doulas, ask questions about their experience, specialties, techniques, and approaches to the birthing process. It is also essential to discuss any certifications or credentials they may have and confirm whether they are insured and/or certified by a professional organization. Additionally, it is essential to communicate what services you expect from your doula, such as physical and emotional support, advocacy for your birthing choices, and guidance throughout the process.
When considering a potential doula, it is important to pay attention to how they make you feel. Do they provide reassurance? Are they passionate about their work? How easy is it to communicate with them? All of these factors should be taken into consideration when making a decision. Ultimately, your doula should be someone you feel comfortable and safe with to ensure the best birthing experience possible.
Below is a list of 15 resourceful questions to help ease your interviewing process.
1. What is your experience as a doula?
2. What is your philosophy on childbirth?
3. What services do you provide?
4. What are your rates?
5. Do you have liability insurance?
6. Do you have references I can contact?
7. Do you make any visits before birth?
8. Do you have experience with C-Section births? 9. How can I communicate with you? (call, email, text)
10. Have you attended an at-home birth?
11. How will your role help support my spouse too?
12. Why did you get into this work?
13. How many clients do you handle at the same time? 14. What are your preferred pain management tactics? 15. How long do I have access to you after birth?
Hiring a doula is an important decision—one that should not be taken lightly. By asking the right questions, you can ensure that you find a doula who is experienced, supportive, and professional—someone who will help make your birth experience everything you hope it will be!
Currently searching for the right doula? We would love to connect to talk more about our doula services and explore your specific needs. Connect with us today for a free consultation!